The Hill Collection is a research collection of over 1,600 historical books including volumes of the papers of Sir William Johnson, diaries, pamphlets, letters, clippings, manuscripts and other material. Its primary focus is the regional history of the Glens Falls area (Warren, Washington and Saratoga Counties, the Revolutionary and French and Indian Wars). The material dates from the mid-eighteenth century to the present.
The Hill Collection Room is located within the Library in the Scoville Learning Center of SUNY Adirondack at 640 Bay Road, Queensbury, NY.
William Hart Hill
(1891-1959) was a historian, author of several books and collector of regional history material. He was interested specifically in Washington County and Fort Edward. Mr. Hill also operated the Newton and Hill Hardware store in Fort Edward. His store supplied much of the dynamite used in mines in the Adirondacks. In 1978, Mrs. Hill donated a portion of this material to the college. Additional items of this collection were given to the New York State Library and to the Fort Edward Historical Association/Old Fort House Museum
, which Mr. Hill was one of the original founders of in 1953.
Among the collection's items are:
- scrapbooks of original letters and articles compiled by Mr. Hill;
- county and town histories; and
- books on events and people instrumental in the region's history, including the French and Indian War and American Revolution.
Collection Development Policy for the Hill Collection: